Health libraryBack to health library
Use a ladder safely
Anytime you use a ladder or stepladder to tackle a job, safety is a must. Falls can cause serious injuries. To help avoid falls, do this when using a ladder.
Learn ladder safety basics
- Check for damage before each use.
- Use on a sturdy and level, non-slippery surface.
- Keep at least one hand on the ladder at all times.
- Never use the top rung or cap as a step.
- Don’t carry objects that could cause you to lose your balance.
- Never overreach on the ladder.
Sources: American Ladder Institute; Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Take falls seriously
If you fall, seek medical help, especially if you think you have a head or back injury.
- American Ladder Institute. "Basic Ladder Safety." https://www.americanladderinstitute.org/page/BasicLadderSafety.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration. "Reducing Falls in Construction: Safe Use of Stepladders." https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/publications/OSHA3662.pdf.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration. "Standard Number 1910.23 – Ladders." https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.23.